Thursday, December 28, 2006

The Nine to Five

Why is it so hard to have a social life while you work full time? During breaks, when I know I will have an eight hour work day in front of me, I rarely go out. When I have an early class however, it doesn't seem to faze me at all. It's kind of a shame because break is for relaxing from school and having fun and catching up with people but I mostly spend it working and vegging out and going to bed decently early. I also end up listening to mushy Delilah wax poetic on 104.3 easy listening a lot more, then I feel really old. Blah.

Watched Amadeus with the boy last night. It was my Christmas gift to him, I kept hearing how amazing this movie is from him and from the video store guy. The way they talked this movie up you would think they had written the trailer for it. It is pretty long, about three hours and we didn't start watching until 11, so I was out pretty late for a work night. It really was good though. Amazing music. Also recognized the actress who plays Miranda on Sex and the City, only twenty years younger. I was pretty excited about that, the boy just shook his head.

A coworker linked me to a BBC News list called 100 things we didn't know this time last year. It is pretty funny. (I am so productive) Here are some of my favorites:

8. Devout Orthodox Jews are three times as likely to jaywalk as other people, according to an Israeli survey reported in the New Scientist. The researchers say it's possibly because religious people have less fear of death.

11. One in 10 Europeans is allegedly conceived in an Ikea bed.

19. The = sign was invented by 16th Century Welsh mathematician Robert Recorde, who was fed up with writing "is equal to" in his equations. He chose the two lines because "noe 2 thynges can be moare equalle".

20. The Queen has never been on a computer, she told Bill Gates as she awarded him an honorary knighthood.

23. In America it's possible to subpoena a dog.

32. "Restaurant" is the most mis-spelled word in search engines.

35. The name Lego came from two Danish words "leg godt", meaning "play well". It also means "I put together" in Latin.

37. Cyclist Lance Armstrong's heart is almost a third larger than the average man's.

42. Britain's smallest church , near Malmesbury, Wiltshire, opens just once a year. It measures 4m by 3.6m and has one pew.

43. The spiciness of sauces is measured in Scoville Units.

50. Only 36% of the world's newspapers are tabloid.

52. You're 10 times more likely to be bitten by a human than a rat.

59. Oliver Twist is very popular in China, where its title is translated as Foggy City Orphan.

63. It takes less energy to import a tomato from Spain than to grow them in this country because of the artificial heat needed, according to Defra.

68. The Very Hungry Caterpillar has sold one copy every minute since its 1969 publication.

71. Jimi Hendrix pretended to be gay to be discharged from the US Army.

76. The day when most suicides occurred in the UK between 1993 and 2002 was 1 January, 2000.

87. Pulling your foot out of quicksand takes a force equivalent to that needed to lift a medium-sized car.

89. Spanish Flu, the epidemic that killed 50 million people in 1918/9, was known as French Flu in Spain.

92. You are 176 times more likely to be murdered than to win the National Lottery.

93. Koalas have fingerprints exactly like humans (although obviously smaller).

94. Bill Gates does not have an iPod.

98. Nettles growing on land where bodies are buried will reach a foot higher than those growing elsewhere.

100. Musical instrument shops must pay an annual royalty to cover shoppers who perform a recognisable riff before they buy, thereby making a "public performance".

Pretty awesome all the random stuff that is researched, eh?

Sars is coming into town very soon, I am excited!! I am also excited for New Year - bought sparkly bright red dress, but if you can't be ostentatious on New Years Eve, when can you be?

1 comment:

KJW said...

I've sold quite a few Very Hungry Caterpillars myself.